By Peter Onyekachukwu, Asaba
DELTA: The Delta State Government has attributed recent flooding in parts of the state to indiscriminate waste disposal and the blockage of drainage systems by residents. The government, while acknowledging efforts in flood mitigation, called on citizens to adopt environmentally responsible practices to prevent further disasters.
Speaking during a press briefing in Asaba on Thursday, the Commissioner for Works (Rural Roads) and Public Information, Mr. Charles Aniagwu, expressed concern over the impact of Wednesday’s torrential rainfall, which led to severe flooding along Old Lagos-Agbor Road in Boji-Boji Agbor, Ika South Local Government Area.
Aniagwu noted that while the government has invested heavily in storm drainage projects, residents must play their part by ensuring drains remain free of refuse. “Yesterday, most of you witnessed the heavy downpour across the state and the havoc it wreaked, particularly in the Ika axis. Vehicles and motorcycles were damaged due to the intensity of the flood,” he said.
He explained that the flooding in Boji-Boji Agbor was exacerbated by blocked tributaries that were supposed to channel water into larger drains. “For years, our administration has invested billions of naira in constructing and maintaining drainage systems. However, many of these drains are constantly undermined by human activities, particularly the indiscriminate dumping of refuse. Water must always find its level, and when its natural course is obstructed, it overflows onto roads and homes,” Aniagwu stated.
Referencing past global flooding incidents, the commissioner cautioned against politicizing natural disasters. “Flooding is not unique to Delta State. Just last year, we saw devastating floods in Dubai and Spain, despite their advanced infrastructure. The difference is that in those places, citizens adhere to environmental regulations, whereas here, some of our people still dispose of waste in drains, expecting floodwaters to carry it away,” he lamented.
Aniagwu urged residents to embrace a collective approach to flood prevention by refraining from blocking drainage systems and cooperating with government initiatives. “We sympathize with those affected by the flood, but we must all take responsibility. Government cannot do it alone. If we continue to block drains with waste, we will keep experiencing these problems,” he said.
He reiterated the government’s commitment to tackling flooding through ongoing storm drainage projects in areas like Owa-Alero, Osubi, Okuokoko, Ugolo-Okpe, and Warri. “We are working tirelessly to improve our drainage systems, but citizens must complement these efforts by being environmentally responsible. If everyone does their part, we can significantly reduce the impact of flooding in our communities,” Aniagwu added.
Residents are now being urged to change their approach to waste disposal and flood prevention to avoid future environmental disasters.